One minute your enjoying your weekend, thinking that brunching and browsing shops for new candles and cakes is now your full time job, next your hit with the realisation that tomorrow its back to the grind of working life. Dread hits. Between the ups and downs of work, kids, duties, life, Sunday nights are the perfect time for most, to re-energise and think about the week ahead, to feel organised and prepared for whats in store. All great. But the truth is we are so busy moving onto the next ‘thing to do’, overwhelming our heads with worries of what the week entails, that we rarely slow down and reflect on whats just been or appreciate the now. So with that in mind, I’m going to make Sundays my day that I reflect on my week just gone, write down what I have achieved (no matter how small it is), and more importantly what I am grateful for. I am always on a quest to include new habits into my life that can improve my mood, so I believe doing this will increase a more positive mindset, decrease anxieties and diminish for some that dreaded Sunday night feeling.
When we have a busy week ahead, or an early start, ( or like me an operation ) these thoughts can overwhelm us, make us feel tense and lower our moods, so then its really easy to lose sight of everything we have to be grateful for. So even if your feeling low, worried or anxious, struggling to find the positives, still write these things down tonight, (fake it till you make it,) as these practices will eventually in time help lift your mood.
I was lucky enough this weekend to have my friends arrange me a ”new knee, new me ” Lunch. Go for pancakes in Brighton and spend some time puppy sitting :). So as I sit here full from lunch, content from my day, and ready for my Sunday night ritual of bath, face mask, book and bed…. I thought i’d put pen to paper and reflect on my week just gone.
- I walked along Brighton/Hove Beach, I was aching after and pretty sore, but I managed one last, long walk, before my operation as I had hoped.
- A glowing appraisal at work ( go me )
- I walked past 3 cake shops today and didn’t go in and buy any ( big for me anyway)
- I am grateful for living by the sea.
- I am grateful for supportive friends who have made, what could have been an anxious weekend, a really positive one.
- I am grateful for all the thoughtful gifts that I received, for post surgery (Is it my birthday ?!)
- I am grateful for the man who works in ”No where man” coffee shop in Brighton, for making the best pancakes I have ever had.
- I am grateful I have my health ( despite the operation, ) as I know how tough others have things.
- I am grateful for a warm, clean, happy home.
So enjoy your Sunday night, light some candles, enjoy a long bath, put on a face mask, and reflect on the week just gone. What are you grateful for this week?
Happy Sunday-ing x